In an ideal situation, this stage goes rather quickly. Inclement weather, however, can slow this process down considerably. Items to be completed during this phase are:
- Stake out: The engineer surveys the site and stakes the building position on the lot
- Excavation: Digging the hole for footings and foundation
- Footing: Concrete base on which the foundation rests
- Gravel: Filled around the footing and under the basement slab for drainage purposes
- Drain tile installation: Will move water away from your foundation
In this phase you will see:
- Foundation: Concrete poured into foundation form panels
- Waterproofing: Water sealer sprayed on portion of foundation to be backfilled
- Foundation backfill: placing soil around the foundation walls
- Lower rough plumbing completed
- Pour basement and garage slabs: Placing and finishing of concrete floors
This is the phase where things really appear to take shape. Actually, you are only about 1/3 of the way through the schedule at this point. The phases beyond this may seem much slower in progress. That is because we are getting into the fine details which may not be as apparent but are vital to the finished home. In the framing stage you will see:
- Framing: Flooring, walls and roof structure
- Windows & Doors: Windows and door units are installed
- Utility Lines: Underground electric, water, gas, etc. are run
- Shingles: Covering roof structure for weather protection
Rough mechanics is the term used for the plumbing, heating and wiring portions of building, many of which are within floors and walls. You will see the following items, some of which may be going on simultaneously, during this phase:
- Plumbing: Piping for water supply and lines for waste. Outside sewer: Tying into the public lines
- Heating: Installation of furnaces , heat supply lines, return air lines, and vents.
- Electric: Wiring for electrical outlets, switches, etc.
- Insulation: Insulation will be installed in the wall cavities.
- Gas Fireplace installation
- Stock drywall: Sheets of gypsum board will be placed in rooms for future installation
- Pre-Drywall Review: We review all work performed to this point, ensuring that it is built per plan.
This is another phase which shows progress rather quickly. Rooms are separated and divided, giving you the visual effect of each space. These things will occur during this phase:
- Drywall Hang: Gypsum board is fastened to the walls and ceiling members
- Drywall finish: This is done in several stages. Drying time is allowed between coats of compound
- Outside Trim: Trim boards on exterior of home are installed as per plan
- Insulate Ceiling: Flat portions of the ceilings are insulated after drywall
- Siding Installation
- Brickwork/ Stonework
- Rough Grade: Site is graded for drainage and for placement of driveway, patios, walkways etc.
- Garage door installation
This is probably the most exciting phase. You will see the highly visible products you have chosen and will live with in your new home. The items covered in this phase are:
- Hard Flooring: Vinyl, ceramic, hardwood are installed per selections
- Finish Carpentry: Cabinets, countertops, mirrors, doors, trim, rails, baseboards, crown molding etc.
- Exterior concrete: Driveways, porches, walks, patios etc.
- Interior Paint: Walls and trim are painted per selections
- Exterior Paint: Trim, garage door, front door and other elements as applicable are painted
- Kitchen appliances: Appliances are installed per selections
Finished mechanics are the visible portions of the rough mechanics. This is generally an anxious time for many homebuyers. Your home is nearing completion and you are awaiting a finish date. In this phase, you will see:
- Plumbing finish: Faucets, shower heads, supply lines to faucets, commodes etc.
- Electrical Finish: Switches, plug and plate covers, light fixtures
- Heating finish: return air grill covers, supply register covers, thermostat, outdoor unit.
- Final Grade: site is graded to finish grade. Landscaping with seed & straw or sod is installed.
- Carpet: Carpet and padding per selections is installed